Thursday, September 23, 2010

WEEK 8-Everything Matters

Beauty

There are moments that seem to stretch out like morning sun inching closer and closer to your campsite at the edge of the meadow after a cold night. The time lengthens and each second becomes heavy with significance until the single moment weighs more in importance than all the rest of your life.

I can think of two such moments—though I’ve had many.

1. I was standing on a roadside in the desert, red rock canyon walls rising up into a sky so blue it coaxed my soul out of my body and I would have let it float there and be lost but two ravens angled into my view and my soul settled back down and that is when time slowed. Those shiny black bodies looped around and clung to each other. Plummeted then recovered. Rose and fell in a dangerous dance. I mistook them first for enemies before it became apparent they were lovers.

2. I was lying next to my two year old. He was sleeping and the world rose and fell each time he breathed. His absurdly long eye lashes fluttering just a bit with each breath like dragonfly wings stretched out in the sun.

What else is beauty for if not to knock you over, and as you crawl your way back to your life to make you see each perfect second?

No comments: