Thursday, August 12, 2010

WEEK 2: TRANSFORMATION

5 thoughts on a dragonfly

Today, somewhere, after years of underwater living, a dragonfly in its larvae stage pulled itself out of the water, split its skin, and crawled out. The new body is so different from the old one. It has a type of lung (instead of gills), it has mandibles (instead of a thrusting lower jaw) and of course it has wings. Wings that will carry the new body up to 40 miles per hour.

Dragonflies have been called “darning needles.” English parents used to tell children if they were bad dragonfly would come and sew up their eyes and mouth.

A dragonfly once landed on my shoulder. Instead of brushing it off, I froze. I watched it chew up the head of a fly only six inches from my face.

I know a woman with dragonfly tattoos that cover much of her torso.

The dragonfly is a child much longer than it is an adult. It lives only a few months after it grows those wings.

No comments: